Saturday, April 16, 2011

Will Run 4 Wine


In 2010, I didn't work out and I ate whatever I wanted.  It all started with the house and not having a kitchen to cook in for the first few months and just not having time to workout.  Once we did have a kitchen and I was cooking again, I just didn't care about the working out.  I got into a pattern of laziness.  I knew I had gained some weight and half the clothes in my closet didn't fit me anymore, but even though it depressed me that I wasn't my usual fit self I just didn't really care to do anything about it.  It wasn't until I saw this picture of me on our company facebook page that I actually realized how much weight I had gained.  This picture was taken in late August and it pretty much horrified me.  I realized that Hawaii was just 2 1/2 months away and I did not want to look like a beached whale!  I got back into my healthy eating habits, joined the gym and really started trying to get back into shape.  Weighing myself that first day at the gym was depressing, I had gained 12 lbs but by the time we went to Hawaii in November I had lost half of the weight I had gained.  It was challenging after Hawaii to get out of vacation mode and I kind of stalled with the 'getting in shape' thing until New Years when another team at work challenged my team to a Biggest Loser Challenge.  I took it seriously and dropped another 5 lbs leaving me just 1 lb away from my 'normal weight.'  Once the work challenge ended (my team won by the way), I needed something else to keep me motivated.  My friend Cynthia had an app that posted her running distance and time on Facebook and that gave me an idea.  I called her up and suggested that I go up there for a 5K and she come down here for a 5K.  I looked into races and found one few months away in Paso Robles which is where Cynthia lives.  The Wine Country Runs 5K looked perfect!  I have had a goal of running a 5k without stopping in under 30 minutes for years but have a pattern of signing up for the race and then finding some excuse not to go.  The first 5k I completed in college I came in just over 30 minutes and the 2nd 5K I did a few years ago I had to stop and walk for a few minutes after 2 miles and did not break the 30 minute mark.  Here was another shot at achieving my goal!  I didn't really train, I just incorporated running into my workout regimen once a week.  About 6 weeks ago I decided to see how far I could run without stopping and surprsingly ran 3 miles.  The next few weeks I ran 3.5 miles once a week up until race time.  I've always hated running.  I was a sprinter and I am built for short bursts of speed, any kind of distance was always difficult for me...even when I was an athlete.  I was pleasantly surprised when running 3.5 miles became routine for me and I actually looked forward to my Tuesday runs at Miramar Lake. 


Our crew freezing our buns off before the race
Last weekend Jeff and I packed up the car and headed up to Paso Robles.  My brother Peter and my cousin Amanda who live in the area also decided to join us for the 5K.  The night before the race was spent eating delicious Carbonara Pasta that my brother made for us and drinking a few glasses of wine.  Race time was early so we got up at 6 am to get ready and headed over early to pick up our bibs and find parking.  It was freezing!  When we parked the car Cynthia's thermometer said it was 36 chilly degrees.  
The race started and our group dispersed pretty quickly.  There were so many people it was hard to keep track.  I had no idea if they were ahead or behind me but I had my Ipod and my running playlist going and very quickly got into 'the zone.'  I was surprised how quickly the mile 1 marker came and realized I felt good and was already 1/3 of the way done!  After the second mile the course became unpaved roads and dirt and hilly.  The hills were a little challenging being at the end of the race but I persevered.  There was a large and long and very daunting hill and my legs were finally starting to feel a little tired but when I looked up I could see the finish line.  I could see the timer clock at 28 and knew I had to book it to make it in under 30 minutes.  My sprinter mentality kicked in and I hauled butt up the hill and finished in 29:21, less than a minute behind my brother!  It was pretty neat to hear them announce my name at the finish line and between the endorphins and the high of knowing I just accomplished a goal, I could not stop smiling.



Peter was the first to finish in our crew.  Notice the unemployeed look he is rocking.  Nice facial hair Pete! 




 
I finished next with a time of 29:21.  I actually finished 7th overall for women in my age group!


Cynthia came in next and with a time 10 minutes faster than she usually runs!




I am super proud of my cousin Amanda.  She decided just a week or two before the race that she was gonna do it and started running to prepare.  She ran the whole thing except for a tiny part of the giant hill at the end. 


We were all smiles after the race!




 Did I mention we had shirts made for this wine themed race?  We were Winos With a Running Problem.  We got several compliments on our shirts both during and after the race and had inquiries on how to join our club.

So I kind of like this running thing and think I might want to keep it up.  I have no desire to run anything more than a 5k, but would like to work on improving my time.  Cynthia is down to come to San Diego and run a race here.  Can't wait for the next challenge!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...